In the early 1970’s, a small group of believers led by American, Pastor Doug Couch, began meetings in a tiny progress hall in Nunawading, Victoria. Though they had different backgrounds and different life-stories, they were all united with one common goal: to hear the Word of God faithfully preached. In September 1973, Calvary Baptist Church was born.
Through the years, the church grew. People were born again, baptised, and added to the church. Several pastors of like-faith led CBC through highs and lows of growth. Programs such as Sunday School, AWANA, and the Deaf Ministry gave us opportunity to reach out to the community. We moved from building to building as we outgrew the last. But it was in 2001, under the leadership of Pastor Ernie Veszely, that we took a giant leap of faith and converted a restaurant into a church building, fully dedicated for worship.
Fellowship opportunities such as refreshments after services, care groups, and family nights really knit our people together. We enjoy spending time encouraging each other and building one another up in the Lord.
After 29 years of faithful service, Pastor and Mrs Veszely retired in 2016 and passed the mantle of leadership onto a faithful couple who had been serving at CBC since the year 2000. On 25 September 2016, Pastor Manny Mallari was installed as the next pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, with his wife Cherry by his side.
Since that wonderful day in 1973, and now with new leadership, Calvary Baptist Church continues in its original purpose to worship the one true God, to reach out to the world and show them the saving love of Jesus Christ, and to “speak the truth in love” (Eph 4:15).
- The Bible
- The Bible is God’s word, preserved for us to be our sole authority in all matters of faith and practice. We use the King James Version for all public ministries. – Psalm 12:6
- The Trinity
- That God is the triune Godhead consisting of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. – 1 John 5:7
- The Gospel
- The Gospel is the message of the death, burial and bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ according to the Scriptures. – 1 Cor. 15:1-4
- The Salvation of a Sinner
- A person is saved by repenting of their sin and believing on and trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour and Him alone. – Ephesians 2:8-9
- Eternal Security of Believers
- Once a person is saved they have everlasting life and are therefore saved eternally. Salvation is a gift of God, not earned by good works. John 6:37, 10:28,29
- Believers Baptism
- That every born again believer should be baptized by immersion in water in obedience to the Lord’s command. – Matthew 28:19
- The Existence of Hell
- Hell is a real, literal place of eternal torment for everyone who rejects the free gift of salvation. – Luke 16:23
- The Existence of Heaven
- Heaven is a real literal place of eternal peace and joy prepared for all who trust in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ and are born again. – John 14:1-3
- The Second coming of Christ
- That Jesus Christ is coming a second time firstly for the born again believers in a pre-tribulation rapture, then with His saints at the second advent at the end of the seven year tribulation period.- 1 Thess. 4:13-18
- Local Church Government
- We believe in the independence and autonomy of the local church, and that no religious hierarchy has any scriptural grounds to dictate in the affairs of any local church. – Acts 13:1-3
For a copy of our full Statement of Faith please contact Pastor Mallari